- Mentor: Scott Rich email: scotts-at-twosigma-com
- Min-max team size: 3-5
- Expected project hours per week (per team member): 6-8
- Will the project be open source? Yes - Apache license
Some experience in one or more of the following is preferred in possible team members:
- OpenStack APIs (Valuable)
- Linux OS, concepts and tools (Rather important)
Building on the HaaS layer, the project would explore the possibility of provisioning hardware from a bootable image with the option of later migrating that system to a Virtual Machine booted from an equivalent boot. Users could be provisioned hardware, and if it is under-utilized they could be migrated to a VM. Similarly, a heavily loaded or I/O bound system running on a Virtual Machine in this model could be “promoted” to bare metal to provide higher I/O or access to dedicated network/storage resources. This approach would yield tremendous flexibility for deploying workloads across a hardware fleet.